At Mount Olive we include children and youth in all that we do as a congregation—especially in worship.
You will see babies and toddlers in the pews—along with the occasional commotion that is so much a part of young families’ lives. We invite families with young children to sit up front, so kids can feel a closer connection to the service.
We do not have a staffed nursery, but help and care can be arranged by talking to one of the greeters.
Children and youth are encouraged in their faith and welcomed into the life of the congregation in other ways.
- First Communion instruction is available whenever parents believe a child is ready for the sacrament.
- Confirmation classes begin in sixth grade.
- Children and youth serve alongside adults as acolytes, greeters, lectors, altar guild helpers, and servers at our free community meals.
If you have questions about children or youth at Mount Olive, including about Sunday church school, contact the director of education.
Sunday Church School
Mount Olive’s children and youth are encouraged to make meaning for themselves—to connect the stories of our faith with their personal experience and the world around them.
Education hour is Sunday at 9:30 a.m. during the school year.
Pre-Kindergarten through Fourth Grade
Mount Olive uses the Godly Play approach to Christian nurture, a creative model based on the idea that children already have an innate awareness of God.
Following the rhythms of the church year, children are invited to reflect on stories from the Bible, to respond using a variety of art supplies, and to share in a simple feast before they are sent forth with a blessing.
Middle-school youth are involved educationally in the confirmation program, which typically (but not always) begins in sixth grade. It is a four-year program, culminating at confirmation on Pentecost of the fourth year. Click here for more information about the program.
The Choir School
The Choir School has three programs.
- Mount Olive Family Music: Kindergarten or younger children, meets online via Zoom on Mondays from 5:30 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.
- Lower Elementary In-Person Choir: Grades 1 through 3, meets on Wednesdays from 6:00 p.m. to 6:45 p.m.
- Upper Elementary In-Person Choir: Grades 4 through high school, meets on Wednesdays from 6:00 p.m. to 6:45 p.m.
High school-age youth also meet regularly during the school year—
- serving at church and community gatherings,
- visiting youth groups from other churches,
- talking together about the challenges they face in school, with their families, and in their faith life,
- participating in fundraisers.
Summers are often busy for Mount Olive’s youth. In recent years, the group has traveled together for camping, canoeing, and hiking. And they’ve attended ELCA biennial national youth gatherings around the country.
All are welcome!